Monday, July 14, 2008

The Business of Endorsements



Now is the time when candidates are interviewed for purpose of endorsements. Last week I had to complete a complex questionaire from the Sarasota Herald Tribune, and I was happy to have the opportunity. Unfortunately, many of the groups that do endorsements are not interested in the Public Defender election. I spend a lot of time going to business networking events. These are usually conducted in a relaxed atmosphere where there is time for conversations, not just introductions. Many people have concerns about our local criminal justice system and I think it makes me a better candidate to hear these questions. But while the organized business groups are interested in those running for county commission or state legislature, the Office of Public Defender is not on their radar.

One exception is the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employes, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts. This is the largest and most influential union in Sarasota County and I was privileged to be invited to meet their members when their convention met at the Hyatt last weekend. Whenever I go to an event and I see that union member Roy Sorenson is there setting up the sound system, I know that everything is going to work properly. I am proud to be endorsed by the West Central Florida Federation of Labor and all of their members. I am also proud to have the endorsement of Representative Keith Fitzgerald (pictured above) who has truly distinguished himself in the Florida House of Representatives during his first term. Representative Fitzgerald has represented the interests of our area and of the entire state of Florida in a positive manner by emphasizing problem solving, not partisanship. I hope you get the opportunity to meet him or hear him speak during this campaign.

I am also trying to pay attention to the neighborhoods during this campaign. Nobody wants to feel insecure where they live, and street crime continues to plague some of our poorest neighborhoods. On the other hand, we must ensure that all people are treated equally under the law. The Office of the Public Defender can help maintain the delicate balance between citizens and law enforcement. We must be responsive to our clients and their families, we must investigate cases properly, and we must litigate matters in Court when necessary. When neighbors come together in the community they can combat crime and maintain positive relationships with law enforcement, while supporting those who need a second chance. As your Public Defender, I will be there with you when you need me, providing straight forward answers to your questions, and working to provide leadership in our criminal justice system.

No comments: