Monday, August 25, 2008

My Primary Complaint



Over the past two days, more than a dozen people have asked me whether I dropped out of the Public Defender’s race. The answer is a resounding “NO!” Why are people asking this question? Tomorrow, August 26, is the primary election in the great State of Florida. Among the races that will be determined is the Republican nomination for the Office of Public Defender. Now by reading the local papers recently, it would be understandable if you thought that whoever prevails would have won the entire election. Unfortunately, the combination of headlines, signs, and advertising can leave you with that impression, ignoring the fact that I am the Democratic Party’s nominee. Let me assure you, I am in this race to win, and assuming that Tropical Storm Gustav stays away, we will start getting my signs up this weekend. With my opponent finally determined, I can now take the Public Defender race to the next level. I pledge, however, to run a positive campaign focused on my qualifications for the job.

Last week was a mixed bag thanks to the damper that tropical storm Fay threatened us with early in the week. I had three major events scheduled for Tuesday and they were all canceled. However, Senator Bill Nelson was able to make it to Bradenton on Wednesday and I was glad to hear him speak out forcefully against offshore drilling. My friends Elsa and Lenny Lentz threw a lovely reception for Florida House candidate Richard Jackson and myself that night. On Thursday evening, Manatee Glens invited their employees to meet the candidates, and about 150 of them turned out. Later that night I went to Cerviche to speak to a large and enthusiastic group of Young Democrats. On Friday night we had a great barbecue and rally in Newtown. And on Saturday Regina and I enjoyed celebrating the anniversary of women getting the right to vote at the Equity Day luncheon in Bradenton, before heading to the Venice YMCA to eat and drink at the annual luau.

While I am going to continue writing about some of the fun events we attend, I am also going to focus on the issues and differences between myself and my opponent (whoever that turns out to be). I am looking for help as we get into the final two months, so please keep up with the campaign on my web-page at www.Adam4pd.info, or at my Facebook group, Adam Tebrugge for Public Defender.

No comments: