Sunday, September 6, 2009

Are You Any Good?

SCENE: A small room with two chairs and maybe a table. In one chair sits a young man who appears both bored and tough. Into the room walks a woman.

LYN PROCTOR: “Mr. Rob Pilfer?

ROB PILFER: “That’s Me.”

LYN PROCTOR: “Hi. My name is Lyn Proctor and I’ve been appointed by the Court to be your attorney.

ROB PILFER: “Are you any good?”

LYN PROCTOR: “Excuse me?”

ROB PILFER: “I need a good attorney. I’ve had Public Defenders before and they didn’t do anything for me. So I’m asking you, are you any good?”

LYN PROCTOR: “Well, I’m not very experienced, I have a crushing case-load, and I’m afraid that I’m about to lose my job, but other than that, yeah, I’m pretty good.”

ROB PILFER: “Why are you about to lose your job?”

LYN PROCTOR: “Budget cuts.”

ROB PILFER: “Oh. What’s your caseload?”

LYN PROCTOR: “Well I guess I’m carrying about 150 right now.”

ROB PILFER: “Oh. And you’re not very experienced?”

LYN PROCTOR: “No. I’ve only been out of law school a year. Well, not quite a year. And I was just sworn in as a lawyer about six months ago.”

ROB PILFER: “Why should I think you’re any good? Why should I trust you?”

LYN PROCTOR: “I’m passionate about my job. I really care about my clients. I fight hard in Court. And I’m all you’ve got right now.”

(PAUSE)

ROB PILFER: (breaks down) “Oh Ms. Proctor I’m in so much trouble.”


THE END

This sixty second play was performed as part of the "Got a Minute" festival at the Player's Theatre in Sarasota, Florida on September 4, 5th and 6th, 2009 and written by Adam Tebrugge.

No comments: