Monday, February 25, 2008

First Appearance on the Scales of Justice



Well I just got off the scales and I have lost five pounds. Campaigning involves the proper balance between banquets, exercise and energy. I experienced all of the above this past week.

When I last wrote, I had just left a luncheon with Jim Davis, a recent candidate for Governor of the State of Florida. I left Anna Maria Island in the far north-western portion of the circuit, stopped briefly at home to post on this blog, then headed one hour south to North Port to speak to the Democratic club there. North Port is a place where the voters are energized and ready to turn out and be heard this fall. I plan on spending a lot of time there.

A lot of people don't realize that the Public Defender's Office shows up for Court 365 days a year in Manatee and Sarasota County. After a person is arrested, they have a hearing called "First Appearances" within 24 hours. At this hearing, the Judge decides if the person can be released, has to be supervised, should have to post bond, or should be held in jail. I did First Appearances on Tuesday, partly to remind myself how much reform needs to take place in these hearings. Today the Sarasota Herald Tribune ran an important article about how scarce jail resources are being used to incarcerate the homeless. The article may be found by cutting and pasting the following link into your browser: http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080225/NEWS/802250460

On Wednesday, I attended the ceremony put on by the Wilson-Wood and Community Foundations to honor the unsung heroes of our area. This was an inspirational evening because these folks demonstrated how much positive impact an individual can have upon others. Lunch on Thursday was spent at Tiger Bay watching a debate between the candidates for Supervisor of Elections, probably one of the hottest races in the area this year.

The Puerto Rican Chamber of Commerce celebrated their first anniversary with a lovely banquet at the newly opened Arosa restaurant on First Street. Things ran a little slow but the food was worth the wait. We had to duck out before the speeches, however, because we were due in Venice early the next morning to participate in a walkathon to benefit the United Way of South Sarasota County. In the picture above you can see Regina, my legal assistant Linda, and myself, as we set out on our four-mile walk. Our little team raised $300 to benefit the local charities supported by the United Way.

Following the walk, I had to make a mad dash up to Tampa to be interviewed by the West Central Florida Federation of Labor. Then it was back home to get cleaned up in time for a meet and greet between Democratic candidates and voters in my local precinct. There was just enough time to walk the dog before we headed to the Hyatt for the annual banquet to benefit the Westcoast Center for Human Development School. Bishop Henry Porter was in rare form, singing and dancing with the Love Campaign. If you don't know about and support Westcoast--you should. On Sunday I joined the Reverend James Golden and his congregation at Ward Temple AME for a celebration of Black History month. Is it any wonder that I was too tired to make it to the Rubonia Mardis Gras?

I just walked back from the League of Women Voter's lunch at the library presentation on global warming. Maybe this week I will see you at the Rotary banquet in Arcadia, the Manatee County Bar Association lunch, or the Kennedy-King dinner on Sunday evening. Hopefully those banquets and pounds will continue melting away!

No comments: