Monday, March 3, 2008

Candidates, A Caucus, A Common Cause



As I have mentioned, the best thing about campaigning is attending the events, meeting new people and learning of wonderful projects taking place in the community. Last Tuesday I had the pleasure of attending the Rotary banquet in Arcadia, where the work of three key religious figures in the community was honored. On Wednesday I was given the privilege of introducing Federal District Judge James Whittemore at the Manatee County Bar. I then traveled to the Beach Bistro to hear Bob Edgar, the new national director of Common Cause, speak on their attempts to minimize the influence of money on the political process. That evening, the Booker High School Gospel choir kicked off an entertaining and education program celebrating Black History month at the U.S.F. Sarasota/Manatee campus.

Saturday was the Democratic caucus to select our local delegates to the national convention. Hundreds of committed voters made the journey to Lakewood Ranch to cast their ballots. Inside the hall candidates passed out cookies and conversation, trying to woo any uncommitted voters. No money involved, just pure democracy in action. On Sunday night the Sarasota Democratic party held our Kennedy-King banquet which is the major fundraiser of the year. Almost three hundred people were in attendance to hear Florida' Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink speak. She gave a delightful and inspiring talk with lots of local references about the resurgence of the local party. At the end of the evening, all the candidates gathered on stage for the photograph that you see above. From left to right you see Barry Sullivan who is our candidate for Supervisor of Elections, Curt Lavarello our Sheriff's candidate, CFO Alex Sink, myself, Representative Keith Fitzgerald, County Commission candidate Jono Miller, Congressional candidate Christine Jennings, Charter Review Board candidate Ray Porter, and candidate for State House of Representatives District 55, Charles McKenzie.

Monday was an exciting yet melancholy day, my final day of employment as an Assistant Public Defender. I packed up the remnants of my office, said goodbye to a few close friends, and feeling a bit numb, I carried my last box to the car. Fortunately I had the Planned Parenthood banquet to attend which distracted me from my emotions as we enjoyed a very funny performance by the satirical musical group, the Capital Steps. It looks like I will be even busier now that I am "retired." This morning I was a guest on the radio program, "It's Your Gavel," attended a networking lunch in Bradenton, and have a board meeting and two election day parties to attend tonight. Hopefully I will see you at my big party on Friday, March 7 at Freds' on Osprey, beginning at 5:30.

No comments: