Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A Fair Experience



I spent much of last week at the Sarasota County Fair. The Democratic Party had rented a booth and staffed it with volunteers. Candidates were encouraged to put in some hours, meet voters, and get petitions signed. After a rainy start on March 14, the weather improved and attendance picked up throughout the week. Hundreds of voters stopped by the booth to visit. Some had witty comments, others had good questions, and most signed petitions and took literature. This is a great example of democracy in action. Citizens are free to engaged their elected representatives or those who hope to govern.

The Fair is also a good reminder of Sarasota's agricultural heritage. Throughout the week I would take breaks and wander through the various exhibits. The hardest working people there were the young members of the 4H or the FFA, and their parents. There were displays to set up, hogs to bathe, cattle to feed, and rabbits, roosters and gerbils to tend. We sometimes forget that big stretches of the county remain working farms. The fair is a helpful reminder of all the contributions these folks make to our community.

In addition to the fair, I had a great time at the Anna Maria Island Democratic Club celebration on St. Patrick's Day. The club was celebrating their 20th anniversary and some of the founders were around to enjoy the festivities. I just returned from addressing the Arcadia Rotary Club. I would like to thank all the members of the service organizations for the courtesies they have extended to me throughout the campaign. Tonight I am off to a New College Alumni networking event. On Wednesday I will be at MCC in Venice before heading to the Florida Association of Women Lawyers judicial reception. On Thursday I might see you at the Sarasota County Bar Association luncheon. And on Saturday I will begin the day at the Parrish Heritage parade before stopping by the Spring Festival at Palmer Ranch on my way to a meet and greet at Heron's Creek in North Port. Maybe I will see you Sunday at "Give Hunger the Blues" on Hillview, "Embracing our Differences" at Island Park, or the Longboat Key Art Center on Sunday evening.

No comments: