Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Photographs, Signs and Weather


There are a lot of decisions for a candidate to make when running for office. For one thing, there is the matter of the photograph to use on your flyers, signs and web-page. I wanted to do something a little different than the standard head-shot. The photo I have been using was taken on the steps of the Manatee County Courthouse, though you couldn't really tell the location by looking at it. I was happy with the shot but I was getting a lot of comments that I was better looking in person than in the photo. Since I am not necessarily all that good looking to begin with, I decided we needed to try something new. To the left is the result and I would like to thank Paul Martin of "Pictures in Paradise" and Lowell Gilbertson for their assistance.

The newly formed South County Tiger Bay held a lovely reception for all candidates at the Venice Yacht Club last Thursday. The best part was that I met a number of voters whom I hadn't met before. From there I went to a reception in Bradenton at the home of Becky and Ed Martin where I was able to speak to about 25 residents of Manatee County. On Friday evening I attended the family fun festival outside Van Wezel where a couple of thousand people were sweltering in the six o'clock sun. One campaign tactic is to print you face and name on fans and distribute them during hot parades and concerts. I had considered doing that but the cost is close to a dollar a fan and I am trying to be frugal.

The combination of being frugal, and the summertime weather, is why I have not yet put up signs. My opponents have begun to blanket Sarasota county with signs, and every day I am asked where mine are. I explain that they have an August primary while I will not be on the ballot until November, but my supporters are a bit anxious. But the weather this past Saturday reinforced my decision. "A Taste of Newtown" was scheduled and heavily promoted, the streets were closed, and a variety of vendors turned out. Then the thunderstorms moved in and remained most of the afternoon and evening. Not only was much of the festival washed out, in the aftermath I saw political signs laying damaged or destroyed along several roads. So be patient my friends, and help me scout out some good locations with permission from the owners, and I will put up some very nice signs in August.

1 comment:

Virginia Hoffman said...

Adam, You new photo is great. It is so Florida.
Love it, Virginia