Monday, June 9, 2008

Picking up the Pace



Summer is here and my campaign schedule is heating up. Last week I spoke to the Laurel Civic Association, attended the Indian Beach Sapphire Shores neighborhood association, joined the Young Professional Group for happy hour at the Rustic Grill, went down to Englewood for a picnic, attended World Ocean Day at Mote Marine, and danced the night away at the CYD prom. Those were all great events but the prom was particularly memorable. The CYD students had decorated the gym at the YMCA with streamers and balloons and ruffles and roses. Mattisons served a great dinner and the Rays game was broadcast on a big screen over the dance floor. It was fun to see local politicians cutting a rug, and it was great to have the student chaperones keep all us adults in line.

The big event of last week for me was the Tiger Bay “debate” for the Office of Public Defender. This was the first joint candidate appearance for the three of us. Marge Baldwin, the moderator, asked a few questions and then turned matters over to the audience. All of the exchanges were conducted at a very high level. I tackled a number of the questions first and felt like I had substantive and concise answers. Later I was told that I needed to smile more. That night there was some decent coverage of the race on SNN. All candidates welcome these forums, as we want voters to get a chance to know us, and the issues. The next time we will all be together is June 25th at the Manatee County Bar Association lunch.

We have 20 Democratic candidates running in Sarasota County this year. On Friday afternoon, most of us gathered for a rally in Five Points Park outside the Selby library in downtown Sarasota. A small but enthusiastic crowd turned out to cheer us on in the afternoon sun. When the rally was over, we retired to a downtown condominium for a fund-raiser, narrowly avoiding an afternoon deluge. I must again express my appreciation to all those who are helping local Democratic candidates in Sarasota. Your efforts leave me more time for other endeavors, such as creating a Facebook group called “Adam Tebrugge for Public Defender.” I posted video, photos and a podcast of my recent appearance on WSLR radio’s “Surreal News.” Within just a couple of days, sixty people joined the group. If I don’t see you on Facebook, maybe I’ll see you in Newtown at the “Chew and Chat” on Wednesday night, or at the PDA social at the Rustic Grill on Saturday.

No comments: