Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Democracy in Action -- North Port, Florida


I spent the entire day Tuesday, January 29, outside of the George Mullins Community Center in North Port Florida. That is where the registered voters of precincts 106, 122 and 146 vote. Because of the huge turnout of early voters, we didn't really expect a busy day. That couldn't have been more wrong.
I arrived shortly after 7 am and it was cold and dark. Nevertheless, the parking lot was full and a mass of voters was already inside. The sun came up and the day grew warm, windy and bright. The voters never stopped arriving. It was really impressive to see the young first time voters, the police officers, the firefighters, the construction workers, the delivery truck drivers, the elderly and the infirm, make their way inside to vote. There were times when the line of cars stretched back out onto the road and backed up traffic on US 41. Whenever I went inside to use the restroom, I saw exhausted poll workers patiently greeting each new voter.
I was there with members of the North Port Democratic Club, including Tom Jones, Kathy Williamson, and Jen Cohen, to collect signatures on petitions for all of our local candidates. As I have mentioned before, these petitions take a minute or two to fill out, and we were collecting for six candidates, including myself. Of course not everyone could take the time to stop, nor was everyone interested. But my primary sentiment at the end of the day is profound gratitude to all of the people who did take the time to stop, talk and sign. I haven't counted all of the petitions yet, but I'll bet I collected over two hundred. So to everyone in North Port tonight I say: Congratulations on turning out to vote, and Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Adam, it was a pleasure and honor having you with us in North Port. We had a great time and the citizens of North Port really enjoyed your visit. We will be collecting petitions for Adam the entire month of February at the Family Table and we will be handing out literature regarding his campaign. If you would like to help Adam please contact Jen Cohen in North Port at: jcohen114@verizon.net. Adam is a wonderful candidate for Public Defender and we need some workers to help complete his petitions. Thank you Adam, we are very proud to have you running and happy you came to North Port!!