Saturday, January 12, 2008

A Graham of Civility


In the Spring of 1981, I was a nineteen year old student at New College when I was selected to be part of the Governor's internship program created by Bob Graham. I spent that semester in his press and speech-writing office where I worked under the direction of Jill Chamberlain, a member of New College's charter class of graduates. As part of my internship I was allowed to sit in on morning staff meetings with Governor Graham and to help write ceremonial speeches that he delivered around the state. This experience was a highlight of my college career. I felt like I gained a practical understanding of state government, and that I also did a lot of growing up during that time in Tallahassee. As a direct consequence I decided to enroll in the Florida State University College of Law. This led directly to my return to Sarasota in 1984 as an assistant public defender.
Governor Graham went on to serve three terms in the United States Senate where he distinguished himself with his understanding of issues related to foreign affairs and intelligence. He coauthored an influential book in 2004 titled: "Intelligence Matters, the CIA, the FBI, Saudi Arabia and the Failure of America's War on Terror." Now 71 years old, Graham spoke at the Sarasota/Manatee campus of the University of South Florida on Friday, January 11. He was there as part of the Gulf Coast Community Foundation of Venice's initiative called "Civility Matters." He continues to display youthful facial features under a well kept mane of white hair, and was accompanied by his charming wife Adele who was called upon to help keep him in line on several occasions.
The primary message he now wished to convey is the debilitating effects of "hostile, predatory, pervasive partisanship. According to Graham, the great issues of our time are not being addressed because of failures of the political parties, the media, and "passive citizens." Graham wants to emphasize civic education in our schools in order to engage future voters with their community and their country. He suggests that presidential debates should focus on one issue at a time with the candidates being questioned by leading experts in the field so that they do not resort to "bumper sticker answers." And he agreed with Representative Keith Fitzgerald that nonpartisan redistricting of legislative districts could force politicians to address the needs of all of their constituents.
In addition to reconnecting with Senator Graham, I had a busy week in the courtroom and the community. I am busy litigating an important case in Sarasota that has many issues of interest and is requiring a lot of work from all sides. I was invited by Mark Johnson to address the Sarasota Sertoma club about issues surrounding our local criminal justice system. I found the club to be a wonderful mix of engaged people who are dedicated to staying informed and to serving others. I continue to speak out against the death penalty and had a large audience turn out to hear me on Wednesday evening in downtown Venice. And I attended meetings of the Suncoast Partnership to end Homelessness, the Sarasota County Bar Association, Sarasota Democratic Club, and addressed the voters of precinct 14 in Sarasota. Hopefully I'll see you this week at one of the many celebrations of the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King.

No comments: