Saturday, January 5, 2008

Peace of the New Year


New Year’s day is also World Peace Day, and I attended the services at the beautiful St. Boniface Church on Siesta Key to commemorate the event. Sarasota has a vibrant peace and social justice community and there was a large and enthusiastic turnout. One message that is emphasized can be summed up in the words of the song: “Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me.” That is, in order to effectuate change, we must be that change ourselves. We must practice peaceful behaviors in our day-to-day lives, in our workplace, and in our relationships. Together we can than transform our local community and ultimately our national and global communities as well.
Less peaceful, but a whole lot of fun, was the New Year’s Eve celebration in downtown Sarasota. The street parties of the past few years have done more to bring the community together than almost anything I can think of. People of all ages, colors and styles of dress, came together to enjoy music, fellowship and abundant beverages. Despite the intoxicants, we witnessed few anti-social behaviors. Instead, we joined in the dancing led by the band “My Friend Scott” who rocked the south end of Lemon Avenue. I give great credit to the organizers and sincerely hope that a way can be found to continue these parties in the years to come.
And what would New Year’s in Florida be without black-eyed peas? My mother always served these for good luck, and we have continued that tradition over the years. I have found that if you want good peas for the New Year, that it is a three-day process. Begin your soak on December 30th. Start your cooking on the morning of the 31st by bringing them close to a boil before reducing to a simmer. By that evening the peas will be edible, but simmer them all that night if you dare. On New Year’s Day they will be tender and flavorful, particularly with some chopped yellow onion and hot sauce.
I hope that my black-eyed peas will bring me some luck on the campaign trail in 2008. One way or another, I know this is going to be a big year for myself, and for all the candidates for public office. Campaigning was a little light over the holidays, but I am ready to shake off the cold I am presently suffering from, and start back up again next week. I still need to collect a couple of thousand petitions in order to qualify for the ballot. If you are willing, and a registered voter in Sarasota, Manatee or DeSoto counties, go to my web-site at www.adam4pd.info and click the “how you can help” link, and print one of my petitions, fill it out, and send it on to me. I really appreciate all of the support and encouragement that I have been receiving, and I look forward to seeing you soon.

No comments: