Monday, September 8, 2008

Happy Birthday Lyn Tebrugge



Today, September 8th, is my mother's birthday. Lyn Mary Cox Tebrugge grew up in Ft. Myers, Florida, the oldest daughter of Norman and Mimi Cox. Norman was a cattle rancher and gladiolus grower and a powerhouse personality. Lyn and her two sisters, Nancy and "Boo," have remained close over the years despite making their homes in different states.

Lyn graduated from the University of Florida and as a young woman, was given a column in the Tampa Tribune. While attending an art installation in Tampa, she met an architect by the name of George Tebrugge. They were married on December 31, 1960, and their son Norman Adam Tebrugge, was born on December 7, 1961. Caroline ("Kitty") McCrae entered the world on July 31, 1964. Recently Lyn had some of our old movies from this time transferred to a DVD. The films show a glamorous young mother dressed in sharp outfits from the early 60's tending to two well groomed children.

My mother helped instill in me my love of politics. One of my earliest memories is attending an appearance by the Republican nominee for president, Richard Nixon, when he came to Tampa in 1968. Suitably inspired, Lyn and I went door to door for Hubert Humphrey in that tumultuous year. Later she got me involved with Bob Shevin's campaign for Governor of Florida. Lyn remains well read and interested in her state and nation to this day and has recently been canvassing for Senator Obama.

My mother was also part of the large wave of women who re-entered the workforce in the 1970's. Motherhood was important to her but she also felt a drive to help others, primarily through education. Ultimately she found her perfect job at the University of South Florida in Tampa, where she worked primarily with nontraditional students, helping them adjust to university life. When she retired a few years ago, a tree was planted in honor of "Mother U.S.F." in recognition of her many contributions. While at U.S.F., she became familiar with a small liberal arts college in Sarasota that had been taken over by the University after financial struggles. New College was still finding its way in the late 1970's but Lyn thought that the school was a good fit for her son, and so it was.

So Happy Birthday Mom!. Thank you for bringing me into the world, introducing me to politics and books, and getting me to Sarasota where I have spent so many good years. Lyn now lives in Tarpon Springs and volunteers at the spectacular Leepa-Ratna Museum of Art, located on the campus of St. Petersburg Junior College. The campaign has prevented us from seeing much of one another recently, but I wanted to express my love and honor for her on this special day.

No comments: